Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Snow For May 1

Every year, it’s a question whether or not snow will linger along my driveway on the first day of May. Two weeks ago, I would have bet almost anything that yes, I’ll have snow.

But now I’m not so sure. Constant, driving rain has had more of a bearing on my disappearing snowpack than has the temperature. But now, with daytime temps in the 50’s and sometimes the 60’s, that, too, has worked its way.

Nonetheless, a fairly deep patch of snow remains on one shaded corner of my land. And with only three days to go, I’m hedging my bets. I really don’t know how long it will last. But if I were forced to take a stand, I would say that yes, there will be at least a trace of snow on May 1. You'll just have to stay tuned to find out which way this goes.

As much as it pleases me to see the land at last snow-free, the lack of snow presents one small problem. I do a bit of fishing each day…a stream down the road makes it easy to try my luck regularly. And on the way, I just stop halfway down my driveway and half-fill a small ice chest with snow. This keeps any trout I might catch fresh as can be.

So now it’s back to making ice cubes.

I realize all this sounds very un-exciting. But to me, it’s a big deal. Everything is relative and all these little, seasonal highlights combine to make life interesting. At least life in the slow lane, in Waldo, Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment