Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Seminar Schedule

It’s March 1, only 19 days to spring. Here’s an old English saying about the third month:
“A peck of March dust is worth a king’s ransom.”

Every so often, someone asks me when and where I will present my next foraging seminar. To that end, I’ll include regular updates here for those who might wish to attend.

As of now, I have the following, firm commitments:

1. March 12, Laudholm Farm, Wells, Maine. The York County Master Gardener’s Association has asked me to speak at their annual meeting. This will be after lunch, probably around 12:45. I’ll present a talk and DVD presentation all about wild edible plants that grow in cultivated soil.
2. April 3, Augusta Civic Center. I’ll put on a talk and DVD presentation at 3 p.m. as part of the Annual State of Maine Sportsman’s Show, hosted by The Maine Sportsman Magazine and Sportsman’s Alliance of Maine.
3. April 9, 11 a.m., Augusta Civic Center. I’ll give a talk, show a DVD and sign books as part of the Manchester Home and Garden show.
4. April 30, Gardiner adult education, exact place to be determined. I’ll present another picture/lecture and question-and-answer segment. For more info, call 582-3774.
5. May 14, Belfast. This also is a continuing part of my Gardiner adult Ed presentation and it will be a plant walk at locations around the Belfast Area. I’ll announce the time, although I suspect that it will begin around 10 a.m. Participants will meet at Reny’s Plaza, intersection of Routes 1 and 3 in Belfast.
6. May 19, 2 p.m., Dirigo Pines, Orono. I’ll put on a plant talk and include specimens and perhaps a DVD presentation.
7. July 7, Islesboro. I will put on a plant walk on the beach and also inland sections. Tentative time, 10 a.m. For more info, call Aaron Mcgquire at 734-6907. This is for Islesboro Land Trust.
8. July 24, 1:30, Holbrook Island State Park and Wildlife Sanctuary, Brooksville, Maine. I’ll present a wild plant walk around the old estate property, a woodland setting with lots of fields and edges, great for wild plants. We’ll conclude down at the shore. For more info, call Tammy, the park supervisor, at 326-4012. Holbrook is an unsung jewel in our park system…few visitors, gorgeous scenery. It even offers saltwater fishing and trout fishing on inland sections.
9. September 17, Greenville, Northern Resource Education Center, 10 a.m. I’ll present a wild plant talk and wild mushroom walk. Success of the mushroom walk depends upon availability, which in turn depends upon next season’s weather. For more info on this and other NREC events, call Sally at 280-0990.

That’s it for now. I’ll update these as the time draws near and add others as they come around.

Tom

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Tom for these dates.
    Winter being so long...gives us
    foragers something fun to look forward to. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete